Hwy 29 and 1431 from Llano to Burnet - Kingsland, TX
I spent some time driving the past few days in the Llano area. Here is a summary of what I found.
1. The best displays I saw were between Llano and Burnet on Hwy 29 up to the 1431 intersection. There are numerous stands of Bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush on this road. One of the best displays is about 1/2 mile West of the Hwy 29/1431 intersection. There are two very wide parking areas on both sides of the road which makes it easy and safe to park and observe. This is a good spot to park for awhile and take many photos.
2. There are several areas on Hwy 71 between Brady and Llano that are very nice. The countryside on this stretch of road is nice and green.
3. East Hwy 71 from Llano to Austin has some very nice hillsides and right of ways covered with Bluebonnets. Some of these plants seemed to be past peak while other areas on this road seemed new. This is a nice drive. Very nice displays.
4. Hwy 16 between Fredericksburg and Llano have some nice, but smaller displays. This area seemed drier than the ones described above.
5. The road from Hwy29/1431 intersection to Kingsland has some nice displays. Hard to find a place to park safely though.
6. I took two drives two days apart. On the second day, I could tell that more flowers had popped up. This week should be a good time to go out and see some flower displays.
Here is a link to my Flickr photo stream.